Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nursery Project of the Week


I mentioned in my last post that I found a changing table for only $8 at a children's clothing sale last week. It was probably cheap for a reason...the style is outdated, the wood is not in the best shape, plus the wood finish is darker than the rest of the furniture in our nursery. But for $8, I couldn't resist. I decided this week to try to make a skirt to go around the changing table. The table just had open shelves underneath, and I thought a skirt would be nice to cover up all the diapers and wipes and things we would store there. And a skirt would cover most of the unmatching and ugly wood. So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a piece of fabric and some Velcro to make myself a table skirt.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard, and really it wasn't that hard to make. But I was sure I was going to mess it up with all the cutting and measuring and hemming I had to do. I didn't have a pattern or anything; I just made it up as I went along (another reason I was scared it would turn out horrible!). I used an iron and fusible hem tape to do the hem. I have a sewing machine, but my sewing experience is limited to a class I took in high school. And I can't remember how to thread my sewing machine...so it's kind of worthless to me. I attached the skirt to the table using fusible Velcro and hot glue...again the table was only $8, so I'm not worried too much about damaging the table. Then I recycled the ribbons from the diaper cake my sister-in-law made for our shower and hot glued them on.

And it turned out halfway decent. If you look closely, the bottom hem is a little uneven. But for my first attempt at a table skirt, I'm pleased with it. It's going to look much better than looking at bags of diapers. The wall hangings on top of it (which match the bedding) are going to go somewhere on the nursery walls...I haven't decided for sure where I'm going to hang everything.

Now it's off to start Day 4 of the chore chart...I'm 3/3 so far this week with getting all my chores done each day. It's sad the games I have to play to keep myself motivated. You'd think as an adult I would be able to just get things done without any extra motivation, but not me...I need prizes to help me be a responsible adult.

1 comment:

Julie Davison said...

Looks great! I'm also sewing challenged! I made the ring bearer pillow for our wedding. I can't remember if I used my sister's machine or hand-sewed the first part...but after I stuffed it, I ran out of time and energy to finish it the right way and I actually STAPLED it closed!! This was the night before the big day. I figured, the pillow was going to walk down the aisle with my nephew and never be used again, so who would notice. (Nobody did!)Anyway, I love your no-sew approach because I can totally relate! Looks like the nursery is coming along nicely!