Monday, November 3, 2008

We have a baby!

My last post was on Friday afternoon, and I wrote about how tired I was of waiting for the baby to come. I felt like I was just going on and on about waiting and what we were going to do to keep ourselves busy until our baby finally decided to come. Well, it turns out we didn't have any more waiting to do after all. At the exact moment that I hit publish on the last post, my water broke. I thought about posting a quick addition to the post to share that with all of you, but then decided we should probably just get to the hospital. That was about 1:45 pm on Friday. Labor progressed quickly from there and by 5:00 I was dilated to 10. They had me rest for a while before pushing. We pushed for about an hour and she was born at 8:15 pm. There were some scary moments during all that...it was definitely not a smooth and easy delivery. I won't go into all the details here but if you want the whole story, just ask me.

Her name is Audrey Paige. She weighed 6 pounds, 7 ounces and was 20 inches long. She was born on October 31 at 8:15 pm. Halloween was the one day that we really didn't want to have the baby. It just seemed sad that her birthday would be overshadowed by Halloween parties and costumes and such. But Audrey had other plans, and she decided that her birthday should be on Halloween. When she was ready to be born, I had no desire to wait until November 1 for her birthday. I just wanted her out as quickly as possible!!

There is nothing particularly special about the name; we just liked it. In fact, it was really the only name we both agreed on. We think Audrey is a nice classic name, that will work for a little baby or a grown woman. It is somewhat unique (although I think it is growing rapidly in popularity) but not overly different or weird. And we just liked Paige, so we chose it.
Here she is in her car seat for the first time, getting ready to leave the hospital. She looked so tiny!!

We came home from the hospital yesterday and survived our first night. Audrey definitely loves to be held and to be nursed. If she is not doing one or the other, she is not a very happy little lady. I am still in a lot of pain from the delivery and am not able to move around much, which is frustrating. Fortunately Daniel is extremely helpful and willing to do anything possible to help. My mom is here this week too, which helps us out a lot. It is all kind of surreal at the moment...hard to believe that she is now ours to keep forever!

Maggie (our dog) is doing really well with Audrey right now. Maggie was really tired when we brought her home last night (she stayed with her friends Gus and Gertie this weekend, and they must have played a lot!) She came home, sniffed around for a few seconds and crashed for the night. She didn't pay much attention to us or the baby at all. We'll see how she does when she realizes that the baby is not going to go away...ever!
Here we are in the first few minutes at home with our daughter. This picture may be too small, to really tell...but check out her feet in the picture below. They are so long and skinny!!



3 comments:

Blooming Where You’re Planted said...

Congrats! She is so precious! And little!! I have no idea what that's like.. both of mine were huge! 9lbs 1oz & 9lbs 14oz! By the way, the same thing happened with my nephew, his b-day is Oct 31st, not when they wanted, but they don't celebrate Halloween and have been pretty creative with his parties! She can just be a princess for her B-day!

Julie Davison said...

Hooray! Congratulations!! You really look uncomfortable in those pictures. I will pray for a speedy recovery. I'm glad you have some help this week. I'll call and chat sometime and you can fill me in on all the details. Rest as much as you can and take advantage of all the help. Wish I was still down the street to help out too...

Janna said...

hi there girl, thanks for those pictures, Audrey is beautiful! When you get a chance, I would love to hear how everything went okay. We love you guys, are so proud of you & so excited for you during this awesome time in your life. Can't wait to meet Audrey! Take care & rest when you can. Love you.