Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Counting!

I have worked with Audrey on counting a little, trying to get her to count to 3 mostly. The best she had done so far was saying "one, two" (actually it's "none, two" according to Audrey)repeatedly.

So she completey shocked me today as we were going upstairs and she counted to twelve! She needed a little help on five, but she did all the other numbers completely on her own initiative. Now before you start thinking my daughter is a genius who just magically can count to twelve, you should know that I often count the stairs outloud as Audrey and I go up them...just because I'm a dork and it gives us something to do. I never thought she would learn her numbers just by listening to me say them as we go up the stairs though. And obviously, she's only 22 months old, so her "counting" is really more like making sounds that kind of sound like numbers. She's not so good at pronunciation.

This video isn't her best "counting". She's a little slow to get started, and then Maggie starts barking and distracting her. But you get the idea.

I kind of wondered if she though that the numbers only go with the stairs and can't be used to count other things. But one time today I got her to count to 10 by counting some stickers in her sticker book, so maybe she gets the concept. Or maybe not. She'll probably wake up tomorrow and forget all about our counting adventures today. She is very unpredictable like that!

2 comments:

Julie Davison said...

Love it!! Toddlers are so much smarter than we possibly give them credit for! Can't wait to see you on Saturday and get the girls together to play!

Jan said...

Awww she's so cute!